One Tool - Many Tasks
Vehicle Spy Professional is a single tool that enables you to perform diagnostics, node/ECU Simulation, data acquisition, automated testing, memory edit or calibration, and vehicle network bus monitoring. The design of Vehicle Spy is focused on one thing, your productivity. This means the tool is designed for ease-of-use and a low learning curve. With the exception of customer specific features, all the functionality available in Vehicle Spy is offered at a single low price.
All applications for Vehicle Spy are too numerous to list. Here are a few of the more common uses:
- Bus Monitoring - It does not matter if you are using CAN, LIN, or other supported networks, with Vehicle Spy's bus monitoring functionality, you can view, save, and analyze message traffic from multiple networks simultaneously. Industry standard .DBC and .LDF files are supported as well as .UEF and other customer specific formats. Checkout our free .LDF tool.
- Automotive Ethernet - Vehicle Spy is fully compatible with Automotive Ethernet, giving you the ability to develop applications for a vehicle increasingly in sync with the infrastructure around it, other vehicles, and the cloud. Transmit Ethernet frames, simulate Ethernet activity alongside CAN and other network activity, perform USD and GMLAN diagnostics over Ethernet, and work with AVB over Ethernet.
- Simulation - ECU or network node simulation, often called Restbussimulation has long been a feature of Vehicle Spy and can be used together with Graphical Panels and Scripting to create custom setups for customer specific functionality. Also the Playback Function Block can be used to replay prerecorded CAN, LIN or other network traffic back onto a live bus.
- Data Acquisition - Data logging with real-time Signal Views combined with Post-Analysis of data files gives you a complete data acquisition and analysis tool. Also check out our stand-alone embedded data logging hardware.
- Scripting - With the option to use simple drag-and-drop code blocks, you can create script programs to automate tests, simulate ECUs, perform gateways and bypasses, automatically request diagnostic information, and much more.
- Diagnostics - Whether you are using J1939, GMLAN, ISO14229 or your own custom diagnostic protocol, you can setup and execute custom scripts and Diagnostic Jobs with custom Graphical Panels to perform nearly any diagnostic task. Also, scripts written in Vehicle Spy's Function Block language can be downloaded to our real-time embedded hardware and executed in real-time. Support for industry standard .ASAP2 and .ODX files is included. Check out our free ODX viewer.
- Memory Edit / Calibration - Vehicle Spy contains all of the functionality you need for editing your ECU's memory using CAN Calibration Protocol (CCP / XCP) including ASAP2 (A2L) file support, and memory edit controls for Values, Curves, and Maps. In addition, a complete ASAP2 file creator is included with Vehicle Spy!
The features in Vehicle Spy are organized into Views. Each View in Vehicle Spy has its own Window and can be docked or tabbed within the Vehicle Spy workspace. This architecture gives you unlimited flexibility to organize your setups how you need them, for the many tasks you can perform with Vehicle Spy.
This list is not complete but here are some of the Views in Vehicle Spy:
- Messages View - See all messages and signals of all buses that are active. Some of its key features are fast-filtering and activity highlighting.
- Messages / Database Editor View - Vehicle Spy includes a built in database or Messages Editor. To create, or edit messages, there is no need to use a separate tool, you can go to the Messages Editor View and make the changes you like to Messages and Signals directly inside Vehicle Spy.
- Transmit Panel - Transmit any kind of message. It is possible to press a button to manually transmit or setup a periodic rate for transmission. In addition, expressions can be entered to automatically change the data in a transmit message.
- Graphical Panels - Create a custom screen to view bus data the way you need it. Also with Graphical Panels you can transmit messages, interact with scripts, and other parts of Vehicle Spy.
- Signals View - This view enables you to view signals embedded in CAN, LIN, and other network types graphically.
- Signals List - This view shows the latest values of your selected signals.
- Post Analysis - Post Analysis enables you to view CAN, LIN, or other network signals along with raw message data. This provides a powerful way to analyze events and data.
- MEP Setup - The MEP (Memory Edit Protocols) setup enables you to select an ASAP2 (A2L) file for CAN Calibration Protocol (CCP / XCP) and setup options for calibration. In addition, this view shows a list of ASAP2 MAPS, CURVES, VALUES, and MEASUREMENTS that you can interact with.
- Function Blocks - Function Blocks are designed to be a simple mouse driven step-by-step scripting language with no need for a background in "text" based programming to perform scripting tasks. It is possible to download these scripts to our neoVI FIRE and neoVI RED hardware for execution in real-time. Some example of stand alone (no PC) scripts include: Gatewaying of messages, Hand-Held flashing, data logging, and much more.
- Java Scripting - For those more familiar with "text" based programming languages, a built in Java environment with single step debugging and variable evaluation is available.
- Diagnostics Setup - Built in diagnostics enables you to setup and execute diagnostic jobs and save your results for later analysis.
PC System Requirements:
- 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows XP SP31 / Vista1 / 7 / 8.X2 / 10
- 256 MB System RAM
- Intel Celeron 1 GHz
- XGA (1024 x 768) Screen Resolution
- neoVI (neoVI FIRE 2, ION, PLASMA, FIRE, or RED), RAD-Star, RAD-Moon, or ValueCAN Device
Optional PC System Requirement
- Audio Card
- GPS (Global Positioning System) Unit with NMEA RS232 Interface
- PC Joystick